Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Friction and Electrostatics

I am as sick as a dog as I write this blog post. I woke up this morning at 5:30 with the most spectacular headache...it was like an...umm... acid trip!! I went back to sleep after taking some medication and woke up at 9, feeling a bit better, although my temperature was still high. I ate a bit and drank a lot(no pepsi this time, guys!) and settled down for a bit, while studying physics.

When I was studying physics, I ran into Coloumb's law. For the less physically enlightened among us, Coloumb's Law states that:

The force between two charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them, and directly proportional to their magnitudes.

In other words:

F = (Q1 * Q2)/ d

where F is the force produced, Q1 and Q2 are both different charges and d is the distance between those two charges.

So, you ask, how does this sloppy physics lesson concern the average retarded chump?

Well, it doesn't.

It just shows that I'm above you mortals. Just kidding. I was bored, so I went onto Wikipedia to look and see if there was a vector form. Turns out there was.

So I decided to go and create a small, utterly useless program that shows Coloumb's Law in action. It consists of a box and sphere. The box represents an electric field, and the sphere represents a charged object in the field. The box is always positively charged, while the charge of the sphere can be changed using the left mouse button. The camera can be rotated around the field so you can see it better, by using the left and right arrow keys.

Please note that I programmed this thing when my body temperature was causing forest fires in my head, so although its pretty much bug free, the source code is too messy to repost here. Instead, I'll just provide the link for the executable. It uses Irrlicht with the openGL video driver, as most of my other programs do.

The link is located under Random Programs. Grab it and go!!!

You might also have noticed that I changed the theme and layout of the blog. I figured it was about time for a change of scenery, you know? I'll probably do it about every 4 months.

That will be all, fellow human.

See ya,
Gavin

P.S. Oh, by the way, I know you guys were all shocked at the last post, and most of you couldn't believe what you saw (yeah Sparky A.K.A. Christopher Backfista, I'm talking to you). So for the pure shock value of it, here's the image again:



Congratulations, perv. Sparky, you might want to wipe that stuff off your monitor, drool or otherwise.(Ewwww....grosss.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment